Thursday, 30 October 2014

Ink - Amanda Sun (Review)


In my opinion, the novel Ink, by Amanda Sun is a book that isn’t like your average novel. The storyline of the book is different and isn’t like what you expect. Instead of being a novel about realistic events, Amanda Sun has added in events that you don’t expect to happen. For example, she makes the book about paintings, that are painted using ink, where the figures in them, move. This book isn’t a boring book but what also makes it interesting is that teenagers, like me, can enjoy the novel because there’s a love element to it. Over the years, I have figured that I often enjoy reading books about romance, so it made me very interested and immersed when I first looked into the genre of the novel. From reading the novel, the main character, Katie struggles to adapt in a new environment she isn't familiar with. Moving away because of her mother's tragic death, Katie becomes an orphan and moves to Japan to live with her aunty. Attending a new school and being surrounded by foreigners show that her transition is difficult but she meets new people who assist her. The novel begins with Katie first at her new Japanese school. It is obvious that she dislikes Japan and wishes to move back or away. And further along the line, she meets a 'bad ass' boy, Tomohiro where she catches a glimpse at his sketches where unbelievably, begin to move. I have more knowledge about Japanese Traditions. For example, at the beginning of the book, Katie forgets to take off her shoes when she enters the Genkan. Within the book, the author uses Japanese words to express different ways they are feeling. Some of these words are obvious, while other words, aren’t so obvious. So after I read the passage I would google the words to find out the meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment in thoughtful, respectful and constructive ways.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.