Saturday, 8 November 2014

Review: Where she went by Gayle Forman



The book ‘Where she went’ has changed my perspective on how complicated relationships can be through intriguing storytelling and past references to ‘If I stay’. Through vivid imagery, it expresses a very complicated situation into wonderful wordplay. There are some age appropriate moments which are usually brief but still intense. The setting gives us a wide range of environments, while still being based in central New York and Brooklyn. After the change in perspective from Mia to Adam, it nullifies the dramatic ending of ‘If I stay’ which is disappointing to say the least. The period of 6 months after that ending is briefly talked about by Adam and situation is really only interesting when Mia and him are together. The flashbacks famous to Gayle Forman’s style with this series has really proved as a double-edged sword. The fill-ins were vital for myself to keep interested and I can speak for most other readers. But the constant references to Adam’s career and band members, and pretty much every situation they have ever gotten into in the last two years is ludicrous. But as a continuation of ‘if I stay’ it really does live up to its standards by keeping true to the character origins. Overall this book is a very good read for a mature and detail-craving audience, but reading ‘If I stay’ is a must before starting this one.
-Calvin Gibson 10F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment in thoughtful, respectful and constructive ways.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.